COMMITTEE ON ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCES
Activities of the Committee
Aside from its regular sessions and continuous work on urgent actions, the Committee issues statements, information notes and announcements, as well as participating in and organizing a variety of events, webinars and virtual discussions.
Some of these activities can be viewed online:
- On 16 December 2021, the Committee on Enforced Disappearances and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) signed a roadmap to strengthen and systematise their coordination and cooperation against enforced disappearances [PDF]
- From 15 to 26 November 2021, CED carried out a
visit to Mexico in compliance with its mandate under article 33 of the Convention. During the press conference held at the end of the visit, the Delegation presented some general aspects identified during these two weeks, this without prejudice to the report that the Committee will adopt at its 22nd session from 28 March to 7 April 2022.
International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances 2021 (30 August)
- In their joint statement, the CED and the WGEID recall the urgency to address the economic, social and cultural rights of victims of enforced disappearances. Also see on Tweeter
- In his declaration, the UN Secretary General highlights that States must fulfil their obligations to prevent enforced disappearance, to search for the victims, and to investigate, prosecute and punish the perpetrators, and reiterates his call to all States to ratify the Convention for the Protection of all Persons against Enforced Disappearance and to work with the CED and the WGEID.
The CED, the IACHR & the WGEIDjoin to recall the need for State authorities in charge of the search for disappeared persons and the investigation of their disappearance to systematically coordinate their work. Also see on Tweeter
- On 3 March 2021, the Committee on Enforced Disappearances (CED), the Working Group on Enforced and Involuntary Disappearances (WGEID), and the International Coalition against Enforced Disappearances (ICAED) held a
joint webinar on “sharing experiences and positive outcomes of actions taken to promote the ratification of the Convention and way forward”.
Webinar on Enforced Disappearances: Practical and diplomatic challenges (Français)
12 January 2021
Joint Webinars by CED and WGEID: 2020 marks the 40th anniversary of the UN Working Group on enforced and involuntary disappearances (WGEID) and the 10th anniversary of the entry into force, on 23 December 2010, of the UN International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance. To mark this, the WGEID and the CED convened two joint online events on the search for victims of enforced disappearances, and the investigation of their disappearance. Part I and Part II are available to watch now on UN Web TV.
25 September 2020
First Conference of the States parties
to the International Convention for the Protection of all from Enforced Disappearance
Commemoration of the 10th Anniversary of the adoption of the International Convention for the Protection of all Persons from Enforced Disappearance: Programme and Concept note in
11 March 2016